Sunday, June 3, 2012

Vancouver 100 (well a bit of it!)

This weekend was the Vancouver 100, one of my favourite events! The full course is 100 km's but you can do a "custom" and do any distance that suits the day (or days). Last year Neil, Marla and I completed the 100km. This year I knew I wasn't quite ready for that. I have a few residual aches and pains from the 22 hour outing in the Grand Canyon and this course on the Baden Powell Trail is a tough one.
        The night before the event we had a plan for a group of 5 of us to start at Nelson Creek and travel to Deep Cove (50 km). Marla was our crew. We received a text from Chad that Steve was out. That left Neil, Chad, Liza and myself. We met at 8 am in the Nelson Creek parking lot. Craig, the RD of this event dropped Liza off and took an official starting photo. After about 20 minutes on the trail Liza realized she had lost her keys. We had no cell phone reception - Liza decided to retrace her steps and catch up with Craig thinking her keys could possibly be in his car. Later on we received a text from Craig the keys were with him. Now we were down to 3 - Neil, Chad and myself. 

 Climbing up Black Mountain
 Chad trying out his poles on the climb.
 The boulder field climbing up Black Mountain
 Chad at the top of Black Mountain - it's misty.
 Over the other side of the mountain we met the snow. This is the top of the sign post - there is still lots of snow up there.
 The snow section lasted for a couple of hours. It was hard going with lots of post holeing and dodgy moments.
 Chad negotiating one of the creek crossings - dodgy!
 Another creek crossing - dodgy!
 Chad making sure I don't end up face first in the creek.
 More snow on the Hollyburn X country ski runs before I joined Marla for some crewing after 6.5 hours on the trail - now they were down to 2!


Chad and Neil done! A great day on the trails and a chance to see many familiar trail friends. Tonight we joined the post event celebration. It was so motivating to hear the stories of the 100km finishers. I'll be back next year - and the 100km is calling again. Thanks Craig for a great event...I'm feeling very inspired! (and a little stiff and sore today)


3 comments:

  1. Great pictures Neil and Carolyn. You all did very well to negotiate the snow and put in a very solid day. I wish I had been out there with you since the V100 and the GC-R2R2R are my favourite runs ever. Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - let's plan on next year! It's an incredible journey.

      C

      Delete
  2. nice to catch up on the blog - hope you guys are having fun! c&m

    ReplyDelete